Super Typhoons and Styrofoams

When you buy anything "to go" the person at the counter, waiter in the resto or even the ordinary carinderia will put your food in a styrofoam.

I get tired telling people-- please do not put my food in styrofoam. I do not use styrofoam. I get these stares as if I am an alien from Mars or whatever. Then I slowly explain about the growing Payatas trash that I do not want that because that is the easiest way for them to recognize why I opt not to use styrofoam.

Well in fact as I hope most people know that styrofoam contributes to greenhouse gas, that contributes to global warming and thus might be causing all these super typhoons.

For more expert opinion please click The Green Office.

just to quote from that website:

Styrofoam, or polystyrene, engenders a host of environmental and health detriments. It’s made from non-renewable fossil fuels, and its production releases the harmful greenhouse gas HCFC-22 into the atmosphere. Heavy exposure to polystyrene is linked to headaches, fatigue, and depression. After use, polystyrene does not biodegrade and is known to choke and clog the digestive systems of animals when improperly disposed of. When burned, polystyrene releases 57 chemical byproducts. Some of these same chemicals can be transferred to food that is stored in Styrofoam containers, especially during microwaving.


It is scary to think noh??? That small styrofoam from which we drink our coffee and put our left overs or take aways can cause these super typhoons.

This just shows that everything on Earth is connected. What we do to our environment goes back to us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Protect the environment, prevent pandemics.

Fighting Climate Change and the Corona Virus

Mind haunts a place